I love a good spicy dry fried mutton varuval. I remember scorching hot days sat eating varuval and rice on banana leaf at the local mamak for Sunday lunch.
Now I am plant based, I decided to recreate my favourite Indian mamak dish with organic tempeh and chestnut mushrooms.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 packet organic tempeh chopped
- 10 pieces chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 20 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 tbspn curry powder
- Cayene Pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbspn cumin seeds
- Clearspring avocado oil
- Himalayan pink salt
- Pour a generous glug of avocado oil into a hot pan.
- Add cumin seeds and fry
- Then add curry powder, turmeric, cayenne pepper
- Stir fry till fragrant
- Add chopped tempeh and mushroom
- You may want to add a little more oil if pan looks dry
- Add cherry tomatoes
- Stir fry till cherry tomatoes are soft and release juice
- Add salt to taste
Enjoy with quinoa, rice or roti, will be posting my buckwheat and flax roti recipe soon.